Saturday, December 13, 2008

Story Review: The Crush

Since between traveling home (yays!) and live in general I don't have time to write anything new today, I'm going to direct you to a piece I've read recently. It was written by my sister, Manwathiel, and I've really enjoyed reading it. It's very much teen chic reading, so if you really can't stand that genre, I wouldn't necessarily advise you to read it. ^_~

MPAA Rating: G


Short Critique: To be honest, she's improved quite a lot since I've really read what she's written (as I tend not to read too much fan fiction). I really enjoyed the characterization differences between Emily and Annie... and contrasting each of them with Mai. It was fun - and cute - to read.

Dialogue is a bit stilted and formal (especially for teenagers), but it's pretty obvious she's working on it. Plus it's a little difficult to go from writing Tolkien's Elves to modern day American teenagers without some level of difficulty in adjusting to mannerisms and verbal quirks.

All in all, it was good and I'd like to know what happens next, especially in regards to Damien. I'd love to see his character get developed more... and to see what happens between Emily and Tiffany.

So that's my review. Take it with a bit of sodium chloride as you see fit and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments: